Abiogenesis is a multi genre act that hails from Nagaland, India. With folk-fusion as their unique speciality, they create Indigenous and tribal sound in the most modern way making it exotic and beautiful to listen to, a sound never heard before. Each and every song or music explains the untold stories of Nagaland. It is not only entertaining but also a learning experience. Their exploration and experimentation resulted in evolving a new form of world music called Howey music. Howey is a fusion of Naga and other Indian folk with various forms of modern music. Another special feature of the band is the invention of a new wind bamboo musical instrument called bamhum by a band member Moa. This (the bamhum) novelty brought about a huge change to how Abiogenesis sounds today. It became the leading instrument of the band with Arenla playing the lead Bamhum, and Moa playing the harmony. Moa received the National Award from the President of India for his invention of the Bamhum, Moa has invented another Bamboo percussion called Tikzik which is a bamboo percussion with multiple sounds.
Abiogenesis has Performed in 5 countries: Thailand, India, Russia, Bhutan & Myanmar including an exclusive performance for Bhutan’s Royal family on 15th August 11 and to 160 Consul Generals at the Raj Bhawan, Mumbai on 16th November 2011.
Some of their achievements:
* ‘Song Of Substance Award’ at the Music Malt Online Fest 2016 or their music video ‘Voices In Kisama.
*The Nagaland’s Governor’s Excellence Award for Distinction in Folk Fusion Music.
*Moa Subong of Abiogenesis received the National Award from the President of India Shri. Pranab Mukherjee at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 4th March 2017 for his invention of the Bamhum, a new wind bamboo musical instrument.
1.Abiogenesis album ‘Aeon Spell’ released by Saregama in 2007 was listed for Nominations in the 50th Grammy Awards in the Best Contemporary World Music album of the Year.
2.Abiogenesis is nominated in Artist Aloud Music Awards for the best Alternative band and their song Return of the Son for the best Alternative song 2012
3.Arenla, the vocalist of Abiogenesis was nominated for the Best Female Vocals category in the 6th Jack Daniels Awards.
4. Certificate of Commendation in the field of Music on the occasion of Golden Jubilee of Nagaland Statehood on 1st December 2013 by Deputy Commissioner, Mokokchung District.
5. Wake Up Call Nominated in the Best Genre Bender song In VIMA India Awards 2014 in Malaysia.
6. ‘URD1’ winner of the Best Alternative Song Category in Akademia Music Awards 2014, Los Angeles.
7.Abiogenesis album ‘Legacy of the Mountains’ was nominated in the Best Album category in Global Indian Music Awards (GIMA) 2014
8. Certificate of Recognation for Pioneering Contribution Towards Promotion of Indigenous Music on the occasion of the 125th Anniversary of Mokokchung in 2015by Deputy Commissioner, Mokokchung District..
Band members :
1. Arenla Subong – Vocals / Lead Bamhum/ Tikzik.
2. Moa Subong – Bamhum / Guitar / Harmonica/Tikzik.
3. Meren – Bass
4. Aso Yim – Drums/ Percussions/Tikzik.